Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Parenting decisions

Long before my little one came along, I was dreaming of being a mummy. As a young girl, my parents nicknamed me "Mother Number 2" for my involvement with my brothers. I've wanted to be a mum for as long as I can remember. Since having my son, some of my choices have reflected my younger dreams of what mothering my children would look like.

My bub wears cloth nappies. Not the old-fashioned terry towelling squares my mum used, but modern fitted, adjustable size nappies (Happy Heinys) which can be thrown into the washing machine and then the dryer. I always wanted to do cloth nappies. I have compromised some on my original dream: bub wears the cloth nappies at home and for short trips out, but on longer trips and when I haven't quite got to the laundry he wears disposables. I am happy with this decision and it works really well in our home.

My bub eats homemade food. Every main he has ever eaten was cooked in my kitchen, and quite a few sweets and treats come out of Mum's Diner too. I always wanted to cook my baby's food. He has a diagnosed food allergy which limits what packaged food I can give him, but I was cooking for him before that was an issue. It is extra work making his food, but I like him eating my tasty nutritious food. Soon he will move onto modified versions of nearlySuperDad's and my mains and that will be less work!

I've noticed that quite a few Mums around me make comments after seeing my son in cloth nappies or eating food out of a home container. They volunteer reasons why they use disposables or jar food. I can tell you that my choices in these and other areas are personal. I made them from my perspective on motherhood. I don't really mind what choices other Mums are making, and I am certainly not judging them. I'm just mothering the way I want to, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'd love to hear your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment