Monday, June 22, 2009

Lessons from Proverbs 31

I've just started attending a weekly ladies Bible study comprised solely of Mums. We are spending some time looking at our role as Godly wives and mothers and last week we studied the Proverbs 31 woman (see Proverbs 31:10-31 in The Bible). We have been challenged by the ideal we are working towards, presented in these scriptures.

I was particularly struck by the many references to how hardworking this woman is. It really hit home to me that it is necessary and Godly to work hard at whatever we are doing. This does not mean that we have no time out to relax and take a break. Rather for me it means that during my work time I really need to get going with gusto and get my chores and household management under control. I really do count it a blessing and honour to be able to stay home with my son and work at managing our home and family. I would certainly rather be washing or cooking than driving to work for someone else!

After our study last week, I found myself more willing to get disciplined and work rather than giving in to my tendency to stop and have a break several times a day. I did have a couple of short breaks each day, but I limited them in duration and then got back on with my work. Rather than going for the easiest and least chores each day, I made a special effort to go the extra mile and get the jobs completed (around my normal weekly schedule of activities like Playgroup, visiting, etc).

I found at the end of the week I had fitted more into my week (like making a couple of meals for friends) and I felt better about my achievements. I was also able to completely relax on the weekend without any guilt about jobs I hadn't completed. I'm encouraged to keep up the new harder work ethic and endeavour to make it my habit. I really want to take pride in keeping my home in good order and my family well cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment